Sunday, October 2, 2011

Thirty Four years

What a really fantastic birthday weekend!  Hubbers took Friday off and so the whole family went to the Durham Life and Science Museum.  I have been here 4 times now, and I still have not seen all of it!  I LOVE it!

This trip we saw the red wolf, the black bears and the lemurs, which were very fun to watch.  We also stopped by the farmyard area and saw the goats, pigs and cow.  Jeanne really got a kick out of how much the cow liked to get scratches.  The museum trip is never complete without a walk down dinosaur alley.




The 'life size' models are really cool, and the museum does a great job placing the models within the trees and shrubs so it seems like you sneak up on them (well, the smaller ones anyway!).

The day was complete with a visit from Grandma Barb, and her vegan carrot cake (this made us worried),  and her party hats.  Jeanne got such a kick out of wearing the hats, thanks mom!  The cake though, was surprisingly GOOD, no really!  It was so good, we told her it had to have been marked wrong.

Lucky me, my birthday weekend did not end there, Saturday greeted us with temps in the 50's!  Ahh, the crisp cool air.  I love the fall, and was worried I would have to wait so much longer to feel it.

Sunday, we had some FaceTime with Aunt Eileen and Uncle James, and the pups, then we met Grandma Barb at Umstead Park for a nice walk in the woods.  No cool pictures today, I was too happy just walking (sometimes with Jeanne on my back) since hubbers was carrying Loki.  We took a new trail this time, and we found that along the trail were markers naming and describing the different trees.  We all took time to see the differences in the bark color and texture and the size of the trees.  Our own 'tree school' for Jeanne, but I think we all had fun.  I finally learned the name of that new pine tree in this area, the Loblolly pine!

Food, I can't write a post without food being mentioned.  Friday was pizza night as always, and with my homemade crust, hubbers made a wonderfully flavorful pizza that we all devoured.  Saturday breakfast consisted of Rancho Gordo Snowcap beans with eggs and spinach, and during lunch I made pearsauce with apricots in the slowcooker.  It's just like applesauce, only with pears.  I was noticing that I kept buying little jars of apples and apricots or pears and apricots for Loki, so I figured I would make it.  Oh yum, was that good!  Two ice trays in the freezer for Loki and the rest was gobbled up that meal!

Today we had sweet potato hash browns, then Jeanne helped daddy make a "smoomie" (or fruit smoothie).  Jeanne is my little girl though, with each ingredient she was to put in the blender, she grabbed a bite first ; )  Two bananas, HUGE glob of peanut butter, blueberries, strawberries and milk.  What we don't drink I make freezer pops with for later.

Just before dinner I made sugar cinnamon almonds.  Wow, these are addictive!

Thank you all for calling, I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment