Thursday, October 6, 2011

Orange Black Beans with Cumin

This recipe is from the book "Not your mothers slow cooker"  I got it from the library, and really had to search for good recipes.  For having over 350 recipes, I think I only pulled about 10, and most of them were on making jams and apple butters etc.  I would *not* spend any money on this book. 

That said, this recipe was pulled by my mother, and it is FANTASTIC!  No really, it WILL be a new staple in my house, so good, Jeanne ate a bunch too with rice.

Made in a slow cooker:
High for about 1.5 hours

Two cans or about 5 cups of black beans, drained and rinsed (I used homemade and only drained, did not rinse away broth)
2 Tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar (this can be reduced if you find it too sweet)
1 rib of celery, minced
1 medium shallot minced ( I used half a small onion)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 chicken broth (substitute vegetable broth if desired)
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
pinch of cinnamon or cardamom (I use cinnamon, can't wait to try cardamom)
salt and pepper to taste (I didn't)

To serve:
hot cooked rice
1/4 chopped cilantro fresh (didn't use)
1/2 cup fresh tomatoes  (not in season, so I didn't use)

Combine beans, brown sugar, shallot, celery, orange juice, broth, cumin and cinnamon in slow cooker.  Cover and cook on high about 1.5 hours.

Note: Both my mother and I agree that these beans taste better cold, which is really great news of you brought a bag lunch and the microwave doesn't work, or your in a rush and just need to EAT RIGHT NOW (I don't know anyone like that, I'm just saying).

Hmm, I'm hungry right now, I think I have some orange beans!

P.S. It really bothered Jeanne that I kept calling these beans "Orange Beans", as they are in fact black beans.  It was pretty cute.

"Not orange mommy (finger waving in my face). These black beans."

No comments:

Post a Comment