Tuesday, October 18, 2011

5 days until I do this ALONE

As many of you know, my husband travels often for his job.  We knew that, and we accepted the consequences of that.  I have been very lucky in that he was able to put off travel the first 3 (grueling) months of Loki's life.  After that, my mother was always (happened) to be home as well, so she would come over for dinner each night and give Jeanne a bath and put her to bed while I did the same for Loki. 

Two kids, two adults.

Well, my mother also has to do some traveling for her work, and as it happens she is in the middle of a very big project, so is gone a lot more this month.  So the two travelers go.  It had to happen, and I knew it would happen.  Next week, they will both be gone, and I will be alone every day and every night.

Just after dinner last night, I came to this realization and began to panic (only a little).  I pushed down my fear, and decided to make a plan.  I figured I better start practicing how to do this alone while hubbers is still here, so if I miss to see a big problem (huh, who do I take out of the tub first?) he is still here to save me and we can think it out later.

Last night, I tried giving both Loki and Jeanne a bath at the same time, which they both loved to death and they wouldn't stop giggling. I was in there too, to make sure Loki didn't fall over or Jeanne splash too much, but they were fine.  The problem, as I hinted at earlier, was who to take out first, if I am still in the bath.  I have to be careful not to fall or drop a wet Loki.

Tonight, I think I will let them bathe together but I won't get in.  Still haven't worked out the "milk and books" routine yet. During nap time, I read them both books while Loki lies next to Jeanne and I and plays and Jeanne drinks her milk, then I put Loki down for a nap. But I don't think I can do that at night since Loki gets really tired an hour before Jeanne does.

Must keep thinking.. Suggestions welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment