Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Operation "Eat Better" day 4

Breakfast:
Me: Homemade granola with vanilla almond milk, some pear and a coffee
Hubbers: cereal with banana
Loki: left over ham sandwich, cheerios, pear, quinoa with black beans and mango
Jeanne:left over ham sandwich, cheerios with plain almond milk, pear, white grape juice (diluted 50%)

Early breakfast / snack?
Me, hubbers and Jeanne: hummus wrap with cucumbers, celery, red peppers, lettuce
...
a little later, green chips.


Afternoon snack:
Me and the kids, goldfish
Me: beets.  Sheesh, I am trying really hard here to be all healthy etc, but man, while tasty they sure didn't fill the "I want a snack" feeling.

Dinner:
We had dinner out at 'Moe's'.  I had a small wheat tortilla with pinto beans, organic tofu, guacamole, cucumbers and tomatoes.
Kids had quesadillas, and dad had a rice bowl with chicken, we all had water or unsweetened tea.

OK, we did go next door and get dessert.  Two kids cups of ice cream, mint and dark chocolate.


GREEN CHIPS:  recipe from "The 30 minute Vegan"
1 bunch of curly leaf kale (the other kind wont crisp up well)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt

OK, now that I gave you the ingredient list, I can tell you I don't follow it.  I use all the ingredients, but not in those measurements.

Pre-heat oven to 350F
First wash the kale, then rip the leves off in bite size bits and put on cookie sheet in a single layer.  Bake 12-15 minutes.  Too short they will still be too chewy, too ling and they will be burned.  Figure out your oven.

Move kale to large mixing bowl and drizzle with the oil, sprinkle the yeast and salt.  Again, I just keep tasting.  Not too much oil, I don't want fat chips, I want healthy green chips.  I use less then half the yeast, Jeanne doesn't care too much for it and I would much rather her EAT the KALE chips than not.  If you don't want to use the yeast, you can't go wrong with oil and salt!

Give it a try, go on.  Organic curly kale from my foo foo grocery cost me $1.99  You can't go wrong with that kind of experiment.  The worse thing that can happen is that you and your kids LIKE it, and ask you for green chips every time you go grocery shopping.

A note on any food I list that sounds 'good'.  I didn't come up with it.  None of them.  If there is a mention of something I ate, believe me I looked up the recipe and followed it from a book.  I apologize before hand if I am slow in citing correct references, but I am absolutely taking no credit for coming up with them on my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment