Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Operation "Eat Better" day 10 and 11

Monday
Breakfast:
POBA muffin (vegetarian), smoothie made with frozen banana, blueberries tablespoon of Chia seeds, a teaspoon of peanut butter and almond milk (vegan)

lunch:
half 'Amy's Texas burger (vegan) Jeanne ate this too.  Not her favorite, but she ate it. Pumpkin soup (vegan) (Loki liked this too),wheat crackers

afternoon snack:
2 "fast lunch cookies" (oatmeal, maple syrup, peanut butter)(vegan)

You know.  Before this experiment, I would have 6 meals and several grazing snacks throughout the day.  Dinner was always my biggest meal, and I always craved 'dessert'.  This is all still true.  I actually feel like I  eat a lot of food, I just never eat until I am full.   Never.  So there is always room for more food in a little bit.

Dinner:
Brixx: Veggie pizza with vegan cheese.  When I say 'pizza', I mean the whole pizza.  By myself.  I did not share.  I did not have a leftover bite......  All me.  A whole pizza.  In my belly.  All of it.

Tuesday:
Breakfast:
Scrambled eggs with spinach, scallions and feta (vegetarian) whoa boy this was good.  Loaded a bunch onto a whole wheat english muffin with vegan butter.  YUM!  Ironically, I wasn't hungry for over 4 hours after eating this meal....  As I wrote just above, I usually eat constantly.  Hrm, food for thought.

Lunch:
Cauliflower chowder (oh boy this was good, recipe coming)(vegan)  I ate two bowls and Loki liked it too. Made in the slow cooker and easily adapted for the stove top.  Also had left over Pasta Florentine (vegan).  3 store bought oatmeal raisin cookies (vegetarian)


Dinner:
Creamy tomato soup from the Veganomicon (recipe below), grilled cheese (vegan), smoothie with peanut buter, greek yogurt, pineapple, almond milk vegetarian)

We now take a break from Operation "Eat Better", because I know many of you don't give a rats tutu what I'm eating.


You know, sometimes I can really knock out this 'mommy' thing and get a whole bunch of stuff done in a day while remaining patient with my children and remembering to get on the floor with them and play too. Other days, I can't remember if I brushed my teeth.  Never can figure out the secret to the good days.  Wish I could.  I'd like to have more "Awesome Mom' days.  Today was an Awesome Mom day.  We're all smiles here.

Today I took the kids for a walk, returned some items at a local store, brought Jeanne into Pet Store to look at rats, ferrets and fish.  Both kids ate a great vegan lunch, and lots of it!  I played with them both, they played well together, I ran the dises, did dishes in the sink, did the laundry, folded the laundry.  Remembered I have no idea what is for dinner, and scoured some cookbooks I have from the library.  While the kids napped, I chopped the veggies and soaked the sun dried tomatoes.  After that I was able to cut my fingernails.  Yes, getting to my fingernails gets counted towards a good day.  Do you know how hard it is to cut your fingernails with two kids clambering on you.  This task is really low on the 'must do' list.  You know, picking up the same toys for the um-teenth time that day usually wins out.  That or remembering I have time to pee during a nap.  So yes, I cut my nails!  



RECIPE:  
CAULIFLOWER CHOWDER: vegan, from "The Everything Vegetarian Slow Cooker Cookbook" serves 6 (yeah right, maybe 10)

2 pounds cauliflower florets
2 quarts vegetable broth (this was too much I think..., I would reduce by 2 cups personally.   I think of chowder as being thick, not watery like soup)
1 onion, chopped 
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon white pepper (I only had black, who cares?  Not me)
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
2 carrots, cut into coins
1 stalk celery (oops, seems I forget this... oh well)

1. In 4 quart slow cooker, place cauliflower, broth, onions, garlic, pepper and salt, stir.  Cook on low 6 hours or until cauliflower is fork tender.  Tip: don't go crazy chopping, you will be using an immersion blender here, so just make it small enough to balance flavors and cook quickly.

2. Use immersion blender (see, I told you).

3. Add broccoli, carrots and celery.  Cook for 30 minutes or until fork tender.  

(I also added 1/2 tablespoon vegan butter, and it was CRAZY GOOD).

Calories: 135, fat 0.5g, protein 6g, sodium completely dependent on your veggie broth and the amount of water added, fiber 9g, carbs 30g, sugar 13g

Verdict:
Honestly, it smelled wonky while cooking, so I wasn't thrilled to try it.  I let it cool and put half away (it made a ton, ton, ton).  When I warmed it up today for lunch, I was WOWED!  It was so good I had two bowls, and the kids both liked it too.  Next time I will add a but of corn too.  I will be making the vegan soup again!

RECIPE:
CREAMY TOMATO SOUP: from the Veganomincon serves 8

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (cruches between your fingers)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt ( I didn't add any)
lots of freshly ground pepper
1 pound waxy potatoes (about 2-4 not  russet) and weigh them, I used two medium sized ones, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 cup sun dried tomtoes (not packed in oil)
6 cups water or broth
1 (28 ounce) fire roasted tomatoes
juice of 1/2 lemon or to taste (I didn't use any)

Pre heat a large soup pot over medium heat.  Saute onions until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.  Add garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper. Saute for about 1 minutes.

Add potatoes and sun dried tomatoes (these should have already been sitting in boiled water for 10 minutes, then that water drained).  Pour in water or broth, cover and bring to boil.  Once soup in boiling, lower heat to medium and simmer about 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.

Add can of tomatoes and heat through.  Use immersion blender or puree in blender in batches CAREFULLY.

Serve.

Both Loki and Jeanne liked the soup.  We had it with grilled cheeses (mine was with vegan cheese).  Hubbers said it was the best tomato soup he ever tasted, and he hates tomato soup.  He only ate half of his bowl, but he ate 'some' so I count that as a win.

I really like this soup.  Really.  I'm thrilled the kids liked it too.  Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment