Saturday, September 11, 2010

Moving in

We signed the lease to our new apartment on the 8th, the movers arrived at 9 a.m. on the 9th. This left our new apt. and garage filled with boxes and apparently a ton of wrapping paper. With a lot of help from my super in-laws, 90% of the boxes in the apt are opened, put away and recycled. With Mr. B's help we've also had two new ceiling fans and lights put up. I hope to get written permission today to child proof the lower cabinets and start putting our clothes away.

In truth, my experiences here have been loo sided. I had one very negative experience (from a child no less), but have since only met and spoke with very happy, polite and welcoming people from all backgrounds (yes, even Republicans).

The "pool mayor" we met yesterday told us to expect fluke days of mid-70's in December, so I think I will be looking fir another bathing suit!

Miss you all, and I think I can upload pictures in the next few days, although I've honestly taken very few, we've been so busy!

Sorry for any typos, did this on my phone.

2 comments:

  1. Moving is hard -- someone passed on a bit of wisdom to us when we moved. It takes a year to move in and another year to move your heart.

    Good luck to you all! I'm actually quite curious about that child interaction that was not so great ;)

    And hooray for December swimming days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the hotel we stayed at in Durham, Jeanne and I went to the pool, hubbers was still in the room on the phone and was going to join us shortly. There were a lot of people sitting and talking at the tables, and eating, and lots of kids in the pool playing. Once I put our towels down and took off our shoes, I started walking Jeanne towards the stairs into the pool, where lots of kids were splashing and playing. Jeanne is our 'meet and greet person, she loves to wave to everyone. Once we got neat the stairs, a boy about 8-10 screamed, "NO, you can't come in". When I asked why (in less than 2 feet from his parents) he said "This is the black entrance, only blacks allowed here, you have to use the other stairs!" Again loudly. His parents laughed. I said, Well, that's not very nice", and brought Jeanne down the stairs, into the pool anyway, but kept an eye on the boy. I found out later it was a family reunion from another girl, who was very sweet. That was my only negative interaction so far.

    ReplyDelete