Sunday, September 5, 2010

Drive to Durham, NC Part 2 and 3

Yesterday we got a late start to our travels, but we did have a great breakfast to get us all started.  Our goal was to get to Richmond, VA knowing it would be a long ride, but we figured since we decided on the more direct route, that we should be OK.  Nope.  The ride near the DC beltway was jam-packed with cars on Saturday at 3pm.  I mean stop and go traffic.  I think it added an hour to our trip total, and made mummy cranky.  Jeanne was really a great sport through it all, and we stopped for dinner in Dale, Va (no need to ever do that again) and to stretch our legs.  Hubbers drove the rest of the way to Richmond, Va and we arrived at the Omni at 6:30pm.  No swimming for us that night, but we had a giant king sized bed so EVERYONE (that includes me) had plenty of sleeping room (somehow, I always end up being pushed to the very edge of the bed....).

 I have been dong the majority of the driving since I tend to get car sick, and hubbers has been fantastic at giving Jeanne snacks or keeping her entertained or company.

This morning we got an early start (8:30) and had a very easy, quick (2.5 hour) and visually pleasing ride to Durham, NC. (Digression: VA and NC are serious about their speeding laws, I noticed that the locals very rarely went 8 miles over the speed limit, and there were LOTS of cops out, although it could have been due to the holiday weekend, but by 930 am, I saw 7 cops from Richmond to Durham, and one guy got pulled over.  That part made me happy though, since that guy was riding my tail and zoomed by me... HA HA!).

We made it to the Sheraton Imperial in Durham just after 11:00, and since this is the slowest month they have had in 24 years, we were able to check in 4 hours early.  We are just relaxing and getting settled, mostly since the apartment places I called today didn't pick up their phone.

Jeanne is really doing quite well, but I can feel the disruption to her schedule starting to wear on her (and me).  She is asking for milk constantly and nursing for extended periods.  I am trying very hard to accommodate her, but it is getting hard. I hope we can find an apartment soon so she can begin to adjust to her new room, and new sounds.  The only queer thing I've noticed is that I am always cold.  Even when we were outside by the pool, my skin was cold to the touch.  Even now, the temperature in our room is set at 73F and I have my Pj pants, t-shirt and a fleece on.

I hope you are all well and enjoying this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment