Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Lip balm, an experiment

So, we recently I purchased coconut oil for Loki's rough skin.  It turns out he needed a bit more help than that, but since we had it in the house I've been experimenting with other 'do it yourself' stuff.  I recently made all natural chest rub for the kids, in place of Vicks vapor rub.  The smell is great, and it seemed to sooth him, but I think it could have used more coconut oil.  I'll perfect that later.

Now however, we've realized that we go through a ton of chapstick/lip balm and that money adds up.  Especially with as often as 'some people' leave them in their paints pocket to be washed.  But I'm not naming names.

Anyway, I figure I'd give it a try, here is my first experiment.  I'm following this recipe: http://yourstrulyg.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/diy-lip-balm/
 

First, though I'll do a half batch
:
1/8 cup of beeswax (4g or 0.2 ounces)
1.5 Tbs Shea butter (70 grams or 0.7 ounces)
1 Tbs coconut oil (18g or .65 ounces) (substituting this, as this is what I already had)
1 tsp essential oil total (I will probably do 1/4 rosemary and 3/4 peppermint)

I added all the oils, then microwaved them until melted, checking every 20-30 seconds.  Added the essential oil, stired quickly then poured into the containers.

I've read enough sites now about making your own lotions or lip balms etc, that I've picked up a few tips.
If you think you will do this, even as an experiment, do to the dollar store and pick up 'dedicated' tools for the beeswax.  A grater, a Pyrex bowl for melting or a microwave safe bowl.  The wax is a total pain to clean.  Also, stirring and pouring into small containers is done much easier with a baby spoon or a disposable pipette.  I had a baby spoon on hand already.

OK, they are done and I am waiting for them to harden, I already know I would measure out the essential oil in a separate container before adding.  They evaporate quickly in the hot oil.  My house smells great, but I don't know how much is still in the balm. 

... time passing...

Brr, cool, and tingly.  It smells great, my lips are soft, but whoa quite the MINT sensation.  I'll definitely reduce the peppermint next time by half maybe... But there will be a next time!

I used a (cleaned) sample container from clinque and a tin from some mints.  Hubbers agreed that the MINT was a bit strong.  Perhaps 1/4 tsp of each and a *touch* more beeswax, just a touch.  And that is why I listed the grams baby.

Happy lip smacking!

P.S.  Want some?  Send me a tin or a container baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment