Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pumpkin Butter

Pumpkin Butter on Rice Cakes

A new treat I've been having is pumpkin butter on rice cakes.  I just happen to pick the rice cakes up, and was assaulted by memories of bland, gross, stale things many years ago.

Although, now I eat brown rice all the time, and I love the nutty flavor of it.  The ones I happen to pick up were from the same makers of the brown rice I eat anyway, so I bought them.  I figured anything tastes good with peanut butter on them, and perhaps I can get Jeanne to eat them since they are crunchy and new.

Pumpkin Butter
First, the name is misleading, there is no butter in this.  The butter is in reference to the texture of the spread.  And, yes this is a slow cooker recipe.  Haven't you bought one yet? Sheesh.

I made a half recipe, but I will never do that again.  I'll make a whole recipe, you can always freeze two 1 cup amounts to enjoy later.

One 29 ounce can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie)
1.25 cups firmly packed brown sugar *
1/2 cup honey
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice**

Put all ingredients in slow cooker and stir with spatula.  Any lumps in the sugar will melt during cooking.  Make sure to scrape down the sides with the spatula.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Remove lid and cook on HIGH for 30-60 minutes more, until it reaches the thickness you would like.

Turn off cooker and let pumpkin butter come to room temperature.

You can store this covered in the fridge for up to 6 weeks (be sure to date your jar). Alternatively you can freeze up to 3 months.  Serve cold or at room temp.
* I did not pack down my sugar, and it was plenty sweet.  I will reduce the sugar next time I make this.
** I didn't have either of these spices, so I made my own using this recipe:
Apple of Pumpkin Spice

I've had two brown rice cakes smeared with yummy homemade pumpkin for the last 3 days.  So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment