Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chocolate chip cookies (biscuits)

Chocolate chip cookies (biscuits)

I love chocolate as much as the next person, and I much prefer to have 4 or 5 cookies to dunk in my milk rather than 1 or 2 before the sugar overload starts to bother my teeth and the tons of butter coats my mouth. 

I modified the recipe from the back of the Ghirardelli bag when I baked cookies with my daughter today.  Half the sugar, more than 75% less fat and less cholesterol (I cut out 3/4 cup white sugar, more than a whole stick of butter and an egg),

These still taste great, I promise!  Note: Hubbers calls these biscuits instead of cookies.  I think the lower fat content allows the cookies to rise a bit.

2.25 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 stick butter (or 1 whole stick, I just used what I was left from an opened stick, it looked to be about 3/4 of a stick)
1 cup applesauce
3/4 packed brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract (only use 'real' or 'pure')
1 egg and 1/4 cup egg beaters (or 2 eggs)
8 oz Ghirardelli 60% chocolate chips (note: this is LESS than a whole bag)

Heat oven to 375F.  Stir flour with baking soda and salt and set aside.  Beat butter applesauce and brown sugar.  Add vanilla and eggs/beaters to wet mix. 

Gradually mix in dry ingredients then mix in chips.  Drop by tablespoon onto cookie sheet.  Bake for 9-11 minutes.

I ate (cough) 4 cookies right out of the oven.  This chocolate is awesome, and I like the taste of the cookie batter.  Hubbers and I agree that you could further reduce the chocolate some more.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment