Monday, November 7, 2011

Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry Sauce:

No, I'm not talking about the canned variety, yuck. Here's how to make your own and make your house smell wonderful!

1 bag or 12 ounces cranberries (you can freeze cranberries up to a year, so buy an extra bag while these are around and make this again in a month or two).
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 granulated sugar *
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Use the smallest size crock pot you have (I'm using a 4 quart)

Rinse cranberries and put them in crock. Add all ingredients and stir. The cranberries will float. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, stirring every hour.

Once the skin has softened, the cranberries will pop if pushed against the side of the pot. Smoosh all berries and stir well. Continue to heat so all the sauce is war throughout.

Take the lid off and heat on high for another 30-45 minutes (times will vary depending on the size and heat of your crock pot). Serve or store in the refrigerator. This can be made up to two days in advance.

I've made this before and loved it. The recipe comes from Stephanie O'Dea's "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" cookbook.

*The asterisk is to denote that I omitted the 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, I will let you know if the sauce is still sweet enough for eating. I remember the sauce being too sweet with a while cup of sugar, more like a dessert.

I also happen to be making a Turkey dinner, including baked potatoes and carrots) in my other 6 quart crock pot. I've never done this before, but if it turns out well, I'll post how to make a complete Turkey dinner, to accompany your cranberry sauce.

This will be perfect for those people who want to have a small gathering, 6 or less, and don't want to bother cooking a whole Turkey for a small group.

No comments:

Post a Comment