Thursday, April 7, 2011

Short story author: Greg Egan

While I was pregnant, hubbers bought a book of short stories for me, as I did not feel like I had the time, or mental energy to read a longer book.  I was wanting to read Towers of Midnight: Book 16, as it was given as a gift to me from a dear friend, but the sheer heft of the book deterred me.  Next in line was the first book Game of Thrones: Book 1 by George R.R. Martin.  I started it, but was overwhelmed with the number of names and new characters I would have to learn, and after 15 books of the Wheel of Time, I didn't want to start a new series.  In lieu of this, my dear hubby bought me Luminous: by Greg Egan.  Egan is a fantastic writer!  He holds nothing back, and writes really in depth, extremely descriptive stores about biology, physics, neurobiology, psychology and sci fi.  He defines nothing, and there is no ramp up room for understanding  a new topic.  If you don't know anything about cooling atoms with lasers, than you are out of luck with this particular story.  This is NOT a detriment, this a wonderful breath of fresh air!  As a SAHM, I basically say and think the same thing all day long (" cover your mouth when you cough", "do you need to go potty?", "what color is this..., no it is not green, it is...")so when I get to read an intelligent, well written, wonderfully intriguing story, I feel grateful.

So I guess, I want to thank my husband for buying me this book, and allowing me 2 minutes a day to remind myself that I am a) an adult, b) an intelligent adult, and c)I still have a working brain.  I'd also like to thank Greg Egan for some truly fantastic and original sci fi with  an education!




1 comment:

  1. Again Crystal - I love your writing I seriously think you should turn this into a book - wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete