Saturday, August 6, 2011

Rain and the Farmers Market: State Farmers Market Raleigh

Well, none of us slept well last night.  We (and by that I mean me) woke up in the middle of the night, shocked by the loud, vibrating, thunder.  I woke Paul hurriedly and asked him to get Jeanne, as I was sure she would be frightened by the loud noise at 4:30am.  Hubbers shuffled his way into her room, and I listened to him through the monitor quietly enter her room (shuffle, rustle, rustle........ shuffle).  Hubbers was walking back to our room. He brought a dead, asleep Jeanne into our bed.  Apparently it was mommy that needed extra snuggling in the storm.  Either way, the four of us stayed in bed together for another hour.  Then all da Bakers were wide awake at 5:30 this morning.

The rain.  It doesn't rain in Raleigh like it does in Massachusetts.  First of all, if it rains in MA, it is likely it will rain for days.  It will rain when you wake up, then rain all day long, with nary a break in the showers.  In Raleigh, they report the "possibility" of rain everyday, but the percentages are always 20% and below.  If there is a 20% chance of rain, people won't leave there house "just in case".  Weird little people here, quite afraid of the precipitation. 

But this morning, it was a deluge.  Quite out of the ordinary for it to rain here in the morning anyway, it usually showers after 2pm (like it can read a clock or something).  Mom and I chose to wait a little longer before heading out, as while we won't melt in the rain, I didn't want Loki to get soaked on his way into the car.

We finally make it out of here by 8:30am
The State Farmers Market is much larger than the Western Wake, but I wouldn't say 'much' better.  Some of the prices were better (garlic was 50% cheaper, peppers were $1 cheaper), but some of the farmers were definitely selling old food.  A keen eye and patience, and we were able to get some really nice stuff!

Left to Right:
7 peaches:$5
2 yellow tomatoes: 1.50 per pound, but see honey comment)
4 red tomatoes: $3 and change
2 garlic bulbs:$1
2 red peppers:$2.50
1 green cabbage: $2 and change
box of figs:$3
2 pints of blueberries (spray free):$3
1 pound local raise sausage:$7.50
1 dozen local eggs (NOT IN PICTURE):$4
1 large 44mL local wildflower honey:$14(farmer said honey was $14, but she told me my total purchase of honey and yellow tomatoes was $14, go figure!)
bag stringless green beans:$3 and change
1 large cantaloupe:$2

Jeanne tried the figs, and really liked them.  It was my first time eating fresh figs too!  Nice texture, not too sweet.  Just right!

The honey, oh, the honey!  I think I will try to squirel away money each week for honey from different farms.  Oh, what a difference it makes.  This honey has a nice mellow, taste.  Compared to honey I buy at stores, it is lighter in color, not so sticky sweet, and leaves me smiling!

All while I was shopping, Jeanne was having breakfast with her MeMaw and Papaw!  They were sweet enough to 'stop by' on their way home (which really isn't  on their way).  Jeanne had a blast, and Loki worked his magic on them too.  Only showing smiles and cooing the whole time of course, and all the crying and screaming for me and Granma Barb in the car.

It was great to see them both, and I wish them an easy, QUICK, drive home!
Ug, I'm tired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment