Friday, May 18, 2012

Falafel and found photos

We have been re-focusing our food intake lately.  Hubbers and I are pretty adamant about hight nutrient/taste to calorie intake and we recently found a new food love.  Baked falafel.  No more egg, thus cutting out the cholesterol completely and very little oil, but I am going to make these again with no added oil to see if I can cut out even more fat.  Did you know that a single TEAspoon of olive oil has 5 (FIVE) grams of fat???  I didn't.  I read every label of food I buy and bring into this home, but only TODAY did I read the olive oil label.  Crazy.  Ridiculous.  Yuck.  Here is the recipe I found, because you KNOW I didn't come up with it!

Baked Falafel (it says it makes 21, but I was only able to make 15 and I used a tablespoon to put the mixture on the cookie sheet).


Makes about 21 balls
1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans
1 small onion, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. Put in a medium sized bowl and smash with a fork. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Form into small balls, about 1 1/2″ in diameter and slightly flatten. Place onto an oiled baking pan.
Bake for 15 minutes on each side, until nicely browned (since it’s baked, only the part actually touching the pan will be browned and crispy).

The nutritional content is as follows: for ONE patty
Calories: 35
Fat: 0.84 grams of fat
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 1.7 grams
sodium: 96 milligrmas





This took me approximately 40 minutes.  That was without a food processor and with my kids refusing to nap.  The big one coming out every 5 minutes and the little one crying the whole time.  This must be a super fast recipe if you don't have that going on in your life!

Both of these photos were taken about a month ago, I don't know how they weren't uploaded earlier, but here they are.

Water bin fun.  Loki really is happy here, he was talking up a storm.  Jeanne loved to watch the splashes.  They both ended up sitting in the bin and giggling.


Corn on the cob for the first time.  What a treat!  See, this was her kale meal. 
 Kale and corn, what a lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment