Friday, April 6, 2012

Sleep training

So..... as you avid readers have noticed, we have a problem with sleep in our house.  Mainly by the Lord of Chaos, Loki.

For 2 nights and 2 days now I have done the following:
~not picked Loki UP when he cries.  I do touch him, hug him and tell hin he is ok, I do not ignore him.  This rule is ignored when he is actually hurt and not just whining.
~I have repeated "it's time for sleep" each and every time he wakes at night, without picking him up, rubbed his back, and gone back to bed.  I repeat this every 1-4 minutes.  He usually lies himself back down and settles himself.

Since I have started I have noticed the following:
~twice now (both today) I have put him down for a nap and for bed (just now), while he was awake but clearly sleepy, rubbed his back, said "it's time for sleep, I love you (put on blanket), goodnight" and walked out of the room.  Both times, he hasn't made a peep.  No crying, no fussing, no standing, no hissy fit.  I don't have to go back in to settle him.
~at night, he still wakes many times, but the 'sessions' are short.  He stands up and cries, I turn over, rub his back, tell him "it's time for sleep" he lies back down and goes to sleep.  Sometimes he will actually go to sleep sometimes it takes 5 'sessions' or so.  Either way, its better than nursing him 6 times a night or brining him into my bed.  Which reminds me.
~I've not brought him into bed with me, unless we are up for the day and it is the 'morning' nursing session.  I now have ceased all co-sleeping (he is too strong now, and his constant slaps in the face and kick to my bladder randomly throughout the night do not bring about thoughts of love and peace.  I prefer to think of my children fondly, thus no more co-sleeping.
~ I only nurse twice a night now, midnight and 5 am.  I want him to get used to sleeping for many hours without the need for nursing.  In a month or so I *may* take out the midnight and move it to 3am, it's all dependent on how he does.
~I told my husband that I will do this for 2 weeks.  Two concentrated, full attention, no nonsense weeks.  I feel confident that much will change in that time.  Loki understands so much of what I say now, and the fact that I am never ignoring him is helping (my belief).

Perhaps, just perhaps, I will be able to sleep for fours hours, all together, in the next 6 weeks.  Perhaps.  It would be the first time in 15 months.


Perhaps.

P.S.  Thank you to both my dear husband and my darling daughter for being patient during this time, and sleeping in beds that are not their own, so that I may help Loki learn to sleep better.  I adore you both.

No comments:

Post a Comment