Tuesday, December 14, 2010

P is for Plane


Day 1 and 2
Moored in Miami

Well I'm glad I checked the weather for the week in Miami before we left on Monday.  Most of the week is predicted to be in the low to mid 60's.  So a quick switch of tanks and tees for Jeanne and I for long sleeve shirts and sweatshirts did us well. Jeanne earned a cool B- for behavior on the plane.  She was quite fidgety and tired since it was her nap time, but after an hour or just under, she gave in and fell asleep while I monotonously hummed to her.

We were in the back of the plane, and ended up being the last ones off.  Since we are traveling with a pregger lady and a toddler, we all needed a potty stop before picking up our luggage.  But the luggage ended up being 4 escalators and 3 train stops away, so we were the last the pick up luggage as well.  Apparently traveling with a child adds time (to everything you do!).  We landed at 330pm and by the time we got to the car rental place, got the car seat installed and headed out it was well after 430,pm probably closer to 450pm or so.

THEN, Miami airport looked like Logan did for about 12 years, construction everywhere, detour signs, but no signage for the highways you want to take.  20 minutes later we were finally heading in the right direction, out of the airport.  Now however, it was 5:00pm, and we were in traffic with those leaving work.

2 hours later (yes, really two), we traveled 22 miles to our hotel.  In the meantime, Jeanne was upgraded to A+ traveler, since she was Fantastic(!) in the car ride the whole time.  Now, around 715 pm, we tried every restaurant in walking distance from our hotel (on this Monday night) and they we're either closed or had a long wait.  Since the pregger lady hadn't eaten since 3, and was quite dehydrated from the plane, and beautiful Jeanne Nuit has been trying out her new liquid diet and hadn't eaten since breakfast (not that tons of food hadn't been presented since then), we had to order room service.  The food was really quite great, the bill choked us.

Tuesday morning:

A high of 60 today means no pool for us, I'm disappointed since I had a pretty maternity bathing suit rushed to our house so I could show off this hot bod on Miami beach, oh well.  Breakfast was good, well have to do the buffet again since I have no idea what miss picky pants will or won’t eat anymore, and I’d rather a ton of options in hopes of something.  This morning in was two plates full(!) of blueberries, some watermelon and strawberries.  Just fruit, but at least she ate 'something'.   We meandered around the lobby then went outside.

 It was in the mid 50s and windy, but with a sweatshirt on her and a very light wool for me, it was quite pleasant in the sun.  So we lounged on the lounge chairs and watched the birds.  I finally found a place to get down to the beach and we took off our shoes and walked in the sand.  It took Jeanne a while to get used to the sand in her toes, and to get her balance, but then she was happy.  They had lots of buckets and shovels for kids to play with, and since it was only us, she got to use them all.

A nice lunch, Jeanne ate only fries, but at least she didn't want any catsup on them.  She's napping now, which is the other thing she's been ditching lately.....  So, since she has my genes, you could all imagine how a hungry, tired little me is......  
a. blast.  

I'm thrilled she is doing well away from home, and got a visit from dad (he's in a meeting all day today and tomorrow), hopefully we can all walk on the beach later together.

This video is showing the exterior of a small convience store within the hotel we stayed at.  Note that they decorated the walls to look like a gingerbread house.  Except, it didn't just look like a gingerbread house, it was made of real gingerbread cookie slabs, icing, gumdrops, the whole kit and koobodle!  This was the only good video I got of it, and I didn't even fit the whole facade in the video!
Real gingerbread house!

Day 3

Today was supposed to be about 7 degrees warmer, but I didn't think that would mean much in terms of the beach.  I was wrong, and very happy to be wrong.  We went outside to play in the sand with our sweatshirts on at 10 am, while it was about 54 degrees, within 30 minutes, with our toes in the sand and our sweatshirts off, I knew it was warm enough for a dip in the heated pool. I rushed Jeanne back to our room for a quick bathing suit change and rushed back down stairs.  She was happy to be in the pool, and I was glad it was heated, but is wouldn't call it tub like at all.  It is an infinity pool, so there was a long area of very shallow water for her to play and splash in, which was great, especially I wasn't all that thrilled with getting  wet myself.  She had a blast and made a friend.  A two year old girl who's parents just stripped her down to her diaper and let her splash.  The two girls followed each other around the shallow area pointing to each other 'nose' and both mommies giving reminders to ' be gentle' with other babies.

After half an hour I took Jeanne back down the beach to play in the sand and warm up.  She liked to fill buckets and dump the sand on herself, and chase the birds which I thought was hysterical.

Now that Jeanne is napping, I am hoping hubbers can get out of his meeting early, so we can all play in the sand!

Day 4
Day 4 was just not good.  Overcast, raining, and cold. With nothing to do, and no where to go, the day was just torture really.    The only solace was that later than day we were able to meet up with hubbers parents.  Of course Jeanne fell asleep 5 minute before we met them, and with that excitement meant no nap for her that day.  Once we got some food into the pregger lady and Jeanne, all our moods were lifted, and we just had a grand time chasing Jeanne around the new hotel lobby ( as it was still quite cold outside).

Day 5
FINALLY!  This was the weather we were planning on!  Mid 70’s, light breeze, wonderful.  After breakfast we all walked along the beach, with hubbers and Jeanne wading in the waves.  Once it got warm enough for bathing suits, hubbers, Jeanne and I were rearing to go!  It was really nice to just hang out in the sand and watch Jeanne play with the seashells hubbers was gathering from the ocean.  Sand mounds were made, and Jeanne giggled every time the waves erased its existence, again and again.

A good nap for Jeanne, a very filling dinner for all, and it was time for the grandparents to head home.  I was sorry to see them leave, as was Jeanne.  I wish she could see them more often, and hopefully she will be able to see them again in January.

We packed and hung out in our room for a while, then took a walk along the boardwalk before bed with Jeanne.  It was nice to hear the waves and feel relaxed.

Day 6
We headed back to North Carolina, Jeanne did well on the plane, but truthfully, it was hubbers lap she was wriggling in most of the time, there was just not enough room for Jeanne, myself and the fetus in one seat, but as usual, when it was time to fall asleep, 5 minutes before the plane started to descend, she wanted mommies shoulder.  She slept through the landing, the taxi and the departure, so hubbers helped me stand while I carried our sleeping toddler through the airport and to claim our baggage.

I can report that my balance is indeed off now that I am almost 24 weeks pregnant.  I can also report that baby within already does not like to share, every time I hold Jeanne he kicks and squirms like mad.  Apparently there is limited room in there, and he wants it all.

Well, that was our first family vacation!  I’m looking forward to heading to Mass in less then 2 weeks, especially since I know I won’t be trapped in hotels, no matter the weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment