Sunday, June 27, 2010

First fruit picked.

Last weekend, with much sweat, and lots of fun, I tilled two of my garden beds, and planted tomatoes, basil and green peppers.  I wasn't much, and a far smaller garden than I usually have, but I thought it would be nice for Jeanne to watch things grow.  So now, each morning I strap Jeanne onto my back and we water the garden, and I tell her all about how things grow, and that plants need water too, just like us.

We also got a hanging basket of strawberries ( I plan on re-potting and keeping alive as long as possible), and today we picked out first strawberry.  Of course, Jeanne got our first prize.  She was pretty happy too!  She eats strawberries at home, and I think she recognized the fruit, and gave little kicks of joy when I gave her the berry.

Here she is eating her strawberry, still on my back.  Not a great pic, but makes me happy none the less.

Other than that, I noticed we have two rolls of paper towels left in the house, and I've decided not to buy more.  I'm going to knit up a bunch of cotton towels to dry our dishes, and wipe up messes.  It's greener, and cheaper.

P.S. We are tying to not buy anymore canned goods, so if you have a recipe to cook beans from scratch, I'd appreciate it, as so far, of my 5 attempts at either black beans or pinto beans, only a single batch have been edible.  Yes, I've googled how to cook beans, I need a tried and true recipe here!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment